Tuesday, April 04, 2006

In Which I Cannot Wait to Get Out of Town

I haven't been out of Chicago (except to visit the exquisite home of the fabulous RainDog) since last August when my trip to New Orleans was cut slightly short by Hurricane Katrina.

Now I am plannning a car trip with the lovely and charming Mrreall to Memphis, one of my favorite places. It is laid back, inexpensive, with good food, great dive bars and that slightly lost in time quality that most of the south has, and that I find myself craving. They also have one of the best bookstores in the country, Burke's Books, 'cause I can't stop working even on vacation.

However my mother has been sick. To make a long story short not sick enough to keep from planning on going, but sick enough to worry me and make me feel guilty about going. She is in her late 70s, so even though she is healthy anything could be very serious. She is seeing her doctor today, and he shall decide the fate of this trip.

The best thing about being an only child is that when you are little you get all of the attention, and the worst part is that when your parents are old you have all of the responsibilty.

With any luck the next time I write will be next week, telling you about the splendors of BBQ, Stax Studios and beer. With no luck I will be bitterly writing from my home during my time off.

Cause no matter what I am NOT working.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I'm sure your mom is fine. Remember that time I tried to shoot you and hit her and she just laughed, flicked the bullet away, and gave me a cinnamon roll?

Yeah, good times.

12:54 PM  
Blogger misreall said...

Well if someone has just shot at her I wouldn't be worried. She has been inpervious to firearms since in 1961.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home