Monday, April 10, 2006

What is the world coming too?




This is... interesting.

This makes me think about that old saying that given an infinite amount of monkeys with typewriters one of them would eventually come up with the works of William Shakespeare.

I am starting to think that the internet is the room with the infinite amount of monkeys.

And that makes me think of a scene from some book I read a long time ago:
We are in a room gigantic room filled with monkeys pounding away at typewriters.

A person stops at JoJo the monkeys desk to see what he has typed, and reads "To be or not to be? Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or aahhh aahhh oooohh ahhhffh" at which points he smacks the monkey and yells something like "you damn chimp! That's wrong - get back to work!"
That's all I remember - I wish I knew what that was from.

oh well.

5 Comments:

Blogger misreall said...

Who doesn't love kittens?
No one, that's who.

I remember one of the things generated by the improbability drive in the first Hitchhiker's Guide book was a roomful of monkeys who were, in fact, writing Hamlet

8:10 PM  
Blogger samiam said...

I was wondering if that was it. he sad part is that I just re-read the entire serieslast summer or so - you should think I would remember a bit better.

I am so getting old.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

They enter another room, full of monkeys chained to typewriters.

BURNS
This is a thousand monkeys working at a thousand typewriters. Soon, they'll have written the greatest novel known to mankind. (reads one of the typewriters) "It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times"?! you stupid monkey! (monkey screeches)

(Just sayin')

7:12 AM  
Blogger samiam said...

That's it - I knew it was funnier than I was remembering!


The funny thing is that we came up with two references rtelated to rooms full of monkeys at typewriters.

10:03 AM  
Blogger misreall said...

I am sure there are probably many, many more that that. You really can't be a cool nerd writer without figuring out some way to reference it.
I also think there may have been something involving a monkey and typewriter on a Gilligan's Island episode, but I always really hated that show so I can't be sure.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home