Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Blues Brothers is on

It says something about how white bread crappy and embarrassing our modern movies are that the Blues Brothers is looking gritty and soulful. A big part of it was filmed in the old Maxwell Street neighborhood. I work right near the corner where John Lee Hooker is singing. Back then it looked like what I grew up thinking of Chicago being, dirty, full of characters - some dangerous, most just worth staring at with your mouth hanging open-so full of smells of grease and food that you could see it in the air, and so full of everything that you could find a wonder covered in old motor oil, and trash covered in glitter and the hair of pretty girls, some living, some dead.
Now, the 'hood, looks like Naperville. With a bit of Oakbrook around the edges. They even moved the last two polish stands indoors. But in the mornings the whole block smells like grilled onions and pork chops. If I close my eyes it is like Old Maxwell St., Chicago and my father are all alive again.

Oh, and I still hate Illinois Nazis.

Mood as reflexed by an old soul standard : I Can't Stand the Rain

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Cool, independently-owned, single businesses have no place in our society, damn you.

Get thee to a nunnery.com.

9:36 AM  
Blogger samiam said...

Those neighborhoods still exist, its just that as soon as they are 'discovered' someone walks up and sez "You know what this place needs? A Starbucks! oh, and a Limited! that would be perfect!" and somone else will chime in "don't forget the sushi bar!".

Then the end is near.

I remember walking around in Wicker Park about 10 years ago now. I was use to hookers and bums and junkies as well as just young, hip arti students, but all I saw was a bunch of middle age guys dressed in Brooks Bros. walking around with cigars.

It was quite disconcerting.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home