Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Suddenly Smoking

Smoking. For years it was just an enjoyable activity. Then all of a sudden I was an old man, and every morning that I woke up and expectorated out half my lungs I had to think about the damn 'C' word.

But I was brave and carried on. I wasn't going to let it bother me. Besides, I don't believe in astrology anyways (haha!).

Coughing, lack of breath, constant reminders that I was killing myself by overly earnest hipster teenagers? Nothing had an effect on my enjoyment of those wonderful little smokey treats. But what does finally makes me truly contemplate quitting - legislation. The bureaucratic bastards have finally won. It is now too much trouble to have a cigarette. I can't smoke at home, in my car or at work. And now I can longer sit down in a restaurant and enjoy a meal followed by a leisurely cigarette or two. No, now I have be at least 15 feet away from the entrance before I even light the damn thing.

So I guess I am going to have to just give up. Either that or freeze to death standing next to a dumpster in an alley like some junkie.

I just hate to let all of the smug "quit smoking" bastards win. I really do. I will just have to console myself with the belief that there is a nice bar stool reserved in some loud, obnoxious bar in hell and that they will have to sit there for all eternity with the Marlboro man, Joe Camel and a plethora of chain smokers.

It's all I have left.

2 Comments:

Blogger misreall said...

Do you know about this?
http://www.smokerswelcome.com/MAR/dtclogin.jsp?brand=MAR
One of the guys I work with has gone there and liked it enough that he said he would go even if he didn't smoke. Apparently the coffee is very good and the drinks are better.
I really want to go sometime soon.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Well, fuck, I think that if we could validly refer to ourselves--with, I don't know, some kind of badge, card, or perhaps enormous necklace attachment--as "Smoker Artisans," we could smoke while perched comfortably on Richard Daley's head and no one could say "Boo."

Or they could say it, but they'd damn well better be smiling when they do.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home