Thursday, March 02, 2006

If I was forced to have an unreasonable fear of a semi-common object

It would be a morbid fear of bendy straws.

It's something that I'd probably encounter only a few times a year, so it's not like my life would become a nightmare, but every so often I'd encounter one and just freak out, perhaps screaming, "Get it away from me!" while backpedaling and tripping over things.

Bendy straws are also unnatural enough--straws are rigid, dammit!--and look just enough like a natural killer (snake about to strike, bird of prey ready to spear; notice the box's Darwinian stages of bendy straw evolution from gentle herbivore to nature's perfect killer) that a psychologist could have a nice early handle to work with. Yet they're also innocent enough, a child's implement, that it would also be completely befuddling and amusing to others.

1 Comments:

Blogger misreall said...

When I was a kid we always had these, I didn't even know you could drink a drink without them. They were my mom's favorite thing. So are you saying that momreall is in league with an evil object?
Are you?
Do I need to roll up my sleeves and thrash you?

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home