Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Go Away, Piss Off, Die

So, I don't know, I've been a mite cranky and burned out at work. I've also been talking to myself a lot (only mostly at work). And while I'm not completely crazy yet, I've been taking my lighter out of my pocket and, sure, burning my boss in effigy. In my mind. Because I don't want to upset my office mates. So there's that. Not crazy. Yet.

And another so: Time to take more time off. Yes, boys and girls, it's a patented Raindog Vacation: a sudden 5 days of doin' nothin'. Time to watch DVDs, maybe drink some, play games, and irritate myself by not doing more useful things. More on this later. Just wanted to share the good news.

Oh, and I did get a yearly raise. Like 5.xx%, but with a few months retroactive, so there's a "little somethin' extra" in my paycheck tomorrow and I didn't even have to Look The Other Way for it.

Speaking of corrupt longshoremen, just finished watching The Wire season 2 and it pretty much kicked ass. I thought the first season was very good, but the second season was very good with a side of delicious crabcakes. In a way, it's an anti-Hollywood show--part police procedural, highly character/actor driven, and with very good (and realistic) scripts. There's really no big names (or lead actors even) to hang the series on and not a ton of action. But man there's a lot of great characters/actors and some very smart storytelling and directing. One of the guys behind this series (writer? creator?) is the same guy who did Homicide, which is pretty obvious, and not just because The Wire is set in Baltimore as well.

The first season is all about trying to make a case against a druglord in the projects, and it's actually cool that the second season (featuring the Russian mob and Baltimore stevedores) doesn't forget about the "bad guys" from the first season and we get a lot of what's going on with them in the wake of that case. And despite the fact that there's literally ~30 important characters in the second season, I never got confused once. And, as anyone who knows me can attest, I get easily confused. And distracted by shiny things.

HBO is becoming like beer to me. You have to ask yourself: Is there anything it can't do?

Next up is Deadwood season 2. I can only hope it's as cocksucking as the first season.

3 Comments:

Blogger misreall said...

Yeah, well, fuck HBO, because what it can't do is find the money to make a fourth season of Deadwood. Apparently they have decided that it is too expensive to make more episodes of it's last, true, boutique show (with Sopranos and Six Feet Under both gone it is their only show that is both critically acclaimed AND gets high ratings). And, apparently, they have decided that David Milch who writes it is better of writing a show for them about surfing.
Not making that up, a show about surfing. Or about a specific surfer. From Cleveland.
So I am cranky too, I guess.

2:41 PM  
Blogger misreall said...

The third season of Deadwood starts on June 11th, so tell your wife she is just going to have to wait on that cancellation, but, just as there is no law at all in Deadwood (or there wasn't), so there is no fourth season.

Cocksucking hoopleheads.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home